Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Take Note: Fields Notes

Please note: Field Notes did not ask me to write this post. In fact, I didn't even tell them I was planning to write it.

For those who write, jot, draw, scribble, plan, list, and scrawl: If you haven't already heard of Field Notes, this is for you.

Field Notes makes a bunch of different journals, from lined to blank to grid to steno pads, as well as pens and pencils. They frequently release new collections with different themes--a few recent releases have included The Expedition Edition, which resists the elements and is bright orange (so you can find it no matter the conditions), and The America the Beautiful Edition, currently available and adorned with majestic scenes from across the USA.





Not only does Field Notes make fantastic, handy note books--they are really good people, too, and I can attest to that personally. While I was doing my student teaching, working in a low-income district, I really wanted to leave each of my students with a journal to keep writing down their plans and dreams. Unfortunately, I had close to 90 students, and just couldn't afford to do it, no matter where I looked. As a last effort, I sent a letter to a few notebook companies in the hopes that someone would be willing to donate or steeply discount and make my plan possible. Field Notes was the only company to even answer. Not only did they offer to donate, they sent a pen, a steno pad, and a graphing notebook for each student, plus extras. It was an incredible act of kindness that meant the world to my students (many of whom were used to hand-me-down supplies) and to me. You can see a few of the books all packaged up (the colored papers are my personal notes to each student) below:


Anyway, the next time you need a new place for your thoughts and ideas, know that this country has my heart-felt endorsement. Not only for their awesome and unique writing products, but also because they were generous enough to give to a group of kids they didn't even know. True kindness.