Monday, April 15, 2013

Make It Yourself Monday: Comfort Food Edition

So, since I can't seem to get any photos on my computer, I can't give a tutorial for any of my own recipes or projects right now. Instead, I'm going to share some awesome recipes from other bloggers, and my own pictures from when I made them! These are all really delicious, so enjoy.

1) Butternut Squash Gratin
This recipe, from the Etsy blog, is really fantastic as far as veggie comfort food. A couple notes: in order to make it just a little less healthy, I like to pour a teensy bit of cream over the bottom layers. I also think caramelizing the onions the slow, old-fashioned way, over low heat stirring constantly. Finally, I didn't have gruyere, but I liked it so much with the fontal I used that I did it that way a second time (a hint of parmesan is nice, too!)


This meal, from foodiecrush, is an amazing and unexpected combination. My changes: I used traditional pizza dough rather than the pre-made naan, but I baked it with no toppings on it for a little while first, so it stayed crispy, since all the toppings are already cooked and don't need so long. I also didn't have chipotle, so I added a little cayenne and a hint of paprika to some honey instead, which worked just fine, especially if you don't like too much spice. Pecorino Romano is a good cheese substitute as well. 


 If you have some sort of dutch-oven, this recipe from kitchn is...the best thing since sliced bread? (Sorry). It allows you to make crusty, flavorful, delicious bread at the last minute. I don't really have many notes here, although I do enjoy using cider vinegar in place of balsamic. I also don't have a microwave at home, so I usually increase the rise time to make up for it. A warm place helps too, though.

4) Morning Maple Muffins

From Taste of Home, this is one of the most perfect muffins I've ever tried. Light and maple-y and sweet without being too dessert-like. My only change here was to use brown sugar in the topping instead of white, just because I prefer the flavor.

I couldn't get a real outfit post today, because I was...substitute teaching! Hurrah! So instead, I'll leave you with this mediocre dressing room shot of my work clothes, and a giraffe from the Bronx Zoo gazing ambitiously at a skyscraper:
 shirt: j. crew factory, sweater: american apparel, belt: ???, skirt: forever 21, tights: ???, shoes: bass outlet